A well maintained home is what I call an investment for now and for the future. Spring is a great time to take a look around your home, and see what needs to be fixed or spruced up. The following list includes exterior items to be reviewed. Maintainance now can save thousands of dollars later, and will always add value to your home.
1. The roof and eaves and soffits. Water and rodents can wreak havoc on an unsuspecting owner, so make sure there are no signs of rot, lifting shingles, and take a peak up into your attic, to check for leaks, moisture/mold and furry creatures.
2. Check the grading surrounding your home, and make certain the grade takes moisture away from the foundation.
3. Check your windows - any moisture leaks should be remedied in the warmer weather - buyer's do not like these leaks.
4. Exterior painting and washing - again don't let the moisture get into the wood.
5. Driveways - sweep away debris and let the spring rain clean it off. Check for holes, cracking and heaving
6. Trees - dangling branches should be remedied, these can pose a hazard to people and vehicles
7. Fences and decks - repair, clean and coat as desired, make sure boards are above ground level to avoid rot.
8. Aerate your lawn, rake, top up soil and reseed as necessary or try a new groundcover
A few hours work and if necessary some required financial investment and you can know that your home is maintained now, so you can enjoy the beautiful summer weather when it arrives and for the future, should you ever decide to sell.